Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive

Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive





Sunday, June 12, 2011

The astonishing Drobo - A New Data warehouse law For Serious Photographers

As a photographer I permanently struggle with the huge issue of data warehouse capacity. With digital shooting I shoot lots of raw images and I shoot mostly in Raw format. These photos take up a lot of disk space.

I recently had the chance to buy a Drobo. What the heck is a Drobo? It is a Drobo warehouse Robot which is a huge (in capacity, not footprint) desktop warehouse unit with the capacity to house up to four hard disks. It is configured with something the Drobo citizen call "BeyondRaid" warehouse technology which protects against a hard disk failure. This sLight unit is expandable up to 16 terabytes of raw warehouse space for you documents and photos.

Western Hard Drive

I purchased the unit through a third party Amazon partner. I bought the unit with four Western Digital 1 Tb Caviar Green Sata drives. With the rights Raid configuration it gave me 3 Tb of usable disk directly attached to my Pc with a Usb cable. The total cost was under 0.

The astonishing Drobo - A New Data warehouse law For Serious Photographers

It arrived with all the proper padding expected, and as startling had no damage while shipping. The instructions were amazingly simple: place the Sata drives in a drive bay, attach the Power cable and Usb cable and setup the software from the supplied Cd. No tools were required.

The drives slipped in the bays with no trouble at all (well I did have to outline out which side was up). I then proceeded to attach the unit to my Pc and ran the Drobo Dashboard software. It swiftly detected the Drobo unit and recommended that I format the drives. I did and a few minutes later I had 3 terabytes of disk added to my ideas for use as primary warehouse or backup.

You might ask why I had 3 terabytes of warehouse from 4 one terabyte drives. This is the protocol (or system) called Raid (Redundant Array of reasonable Disks). In its most basic explanation this is a data safety ideas that takes your data and writes it to the disk in a way that enables the data to be restored in case one of the disk drives fails.

The ease of premise belies its features and technology. The Raid-like internal software lets you mix and match drive sizes and is hot swappable (not potential with larger, more primary Raid technology). You can upgrade by adding a larger capacity drive and it will self rebuild the drive while adding capacity. I am impressed. It works just like they said it would. It is very easy to manage and looks like regular disk warehouse to my Vista 64 operating system.

The firm has other products that growth the capacity from my four drive bays up to 8 rack mounted drive bays in their Drobo Elite unit. I foresee the possibility of using one of these units as part of our firm continuity process to place near real time data backups at a remote location using Vmware. See more data at the Data Robotics, Inc web site.

The astonishing Drobo - A New Data warehouse law For Serious Photographers

Friends Link : Buy Shopping Discount NBOX V3 Full HD 1080P

No comments:

Post a Comment

New eBook